Streets of Liverpool Blog

Colin Wilkinson, managing director of Bluecoat Press also has a popular blog, Streets of Liverpool.

Colin says about the blog:

The idea for a site dedicated to photographs of Liverpool came out of my work as a publisher. I set up The Bluecoat Press in 1992 and have published over 200 books on local history and related themes. My particular interest is the visual image (I have been involved in photography for many years and set up the city’s Open Eye Gallery in 1977).

Over the years, I have collected a substantial archive photographs documenting Liverpool in the 19th and 20th centuries and have attempted, through Bluecoat Press’s books, to bring them to a wider audience.

One of my main aims as a publisher has been to create awareness of the thousands of images that are stored in archives, public and private. Liverpool is fortunate in that so much of its history has been documented photographically but, all too often, it is difficult for the public to access collections.

The internet is a tremendous (and free) way of opening up archives to a wider readership and Streets of Liverpool is my contribution towards encouraging a better understanding of Liverpool’s great history.

Please add your comments. If you can add information about each posting, this will only make the blog more worthwhile.

Visit the Streets of Liverpool blog.

This entry was posted in Liverpool Photos, New Title. Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Streets of Liverpool Blog

1. sir

please forgive me for using this method of communicating with you but i have not been able to find an alternative

i will be brief -

i am trying to find (and am willing to pay for) an acceptable copy photograph (not a sketch) of the borough gaol, which stood in great howard street, liverpool, and was not demolished until in/about 1875 – and the same applies to the toxteth reformatory school for girls, parkhill road, off park road, dingle, liverpool 8, which closed in/about 1927

many thanks

john callaghan

2. admin says:

Hi John,
    I have never seen a photograph of Kirkdale Gaol. Maybe some of the blog readers might have but it is a long shot. I’ll look out for photos of the Reformatory – again I have not seen any.

3. Margaret Binns says:

My friend Margaret is desperately trying to get a copy of Liverpool City of Architecture by Quentin Higgins, please could you tell where I can buy a copy, although I appreciate you don’t sell directly to the public, but my friend want to send a copy to her elderly friend in America.
    thanking you in anticipation
    Alison Moore

4. christopher chadwick says:

i am trying to find out about my nans house it was haunted years ago and it is actually in a book in the libary but i cant find any info about it, the number of the house is 82 winborne road huyton but the house is no longer there i was wondering if you could shed some light on the subject and possibly give me some info about the hauntings that happend there as i am a big fan of strange things and the paranormal could you possibly get back to me yours sincerly c j chadwick

5. Charlie Downey says:

sir.

I was looking for a photograph of the Commercial Temperance Hotel number 1, Islington. My wife’s relatives owned or ran this establishment around 1864. I have tried everywhere for one but to no avail hopeyou can help. Regards.
    Charlie.

6. john callaghan says:

colin

many thanks for your reply

ive only just noticed a misunderstanding – the borough gaol, to which i refer, was in great howard street,about 100 yards or so north west (that is, towards bootle)of leeds street – in other words, just north west of the present site of the bmw garage

the entrance of the gaol was directly opposite neptune street

but the gaol to which you refer was kirkdale gaol, which, at that time, was not in liverpool, but was within the jurisdiction of lancashire

hope this helps

best wishes

john callaghan

7. admin says:

Hi Charlie, I will see what I can do – but it is unlikely there will be any photographs pre-1900.

8. admin says:

9. admin says:

Hi Christopher – sorry for the delay in replying but I have forwarded your email to Tom Slemen. I’ll get back to you.

10. admin says:

Hi Margaret – the book by Quentin Hughes is out of print and needs considerable work before being republished. It won’t be out this year.

11. Carl Whiteley says:

C.R.Whiteley
    Poole
    Dorset.

12. admin says:

Hi Carl,
    The catalogue sounds fascinating. I must admit I know very little about the company but would love to know more. Of course Liverpool had Meccano but I didn’t realise there were other companies in Liverpool with an international reputation.

13. chrisrtopher chadwick says:

hi could you plz tell me if there has been any more news on my post and could you tell me when tom slemens new book is out,haunted pubs. will tom slemen be doing any book sighings any were soon please could you repley with a positive answer thanks

14. admin says:

Hi Chris – there will be no Haunted Pubs book. I am not sure where that idea has come from. It is not in our plans.

15. Andy OHare says:

oh dear, streetsofliverpool.co.uk appears to be down. Not permanently I hope. I wanted to contact you about your most recent post there, the 1851 photo of St George’s Hall. I’ve created a work based on that photo and would like your approval to post it online. Regards
    Andy

16. admin says:

Hi Andy,

17. Sarah carey says:

Hi Kay,
    i am alan Tankard’s grandaughter. I came to uk with James my son when you where creating the book that had my grandfather Alan tankard’s art work. I wonderered how I could order 10 copies of the book and how I coiled organize payment and where I could send it to. My postal address is 35 lakeside blvd Lara Vic Australia 3212 mrs Sarah e carey

18. admin says:

Hi Sarah,

Regards, Colin

19. C Jones says:

Re: Winborne Road Page Moss I lived in the next road along in the 1980s, everyone knew about that house and heard the noises that came from it. The council moved families in and all of them left within days. It stayed empty for years and the police were called out on many occassions because of thevery loud bangings, slammings etc going on inside, but the house was always secure and nobody had gained entrance to make the noises. I hated just wajing passed the top of the street, it was really scary. You could ask Knowsley Council or put a message on Yo! Liverpool if you want more information. Hope that helps

20. Nona Mills says:

21. Hi Andy, Apologies for the delay in responding. Streetsofliverpool is back on line (problems with the server) – so let me know your ideas.

22. Hi, I’ve been researching my Grandfathers Company for over ten years now and wondered if you have any interest or information. It all started with the unfortunate death of my sister in 1997. The company catalogue came to me. I never new my grandfather or grandmother as they both died when my father was 5 years old. The Company was formed in 1912 and operated only until 1924 Whiteley Tansley & Co of Beech Street Liverpool. the factory is still there, now a sweet factory on the corner of Edge lane & beech street. The company made tin toys Cars, trains, Spining tops, Tanks etc etc. Trade name ‘Whitanco’ the largest now forgoten toy company in Britain in 1919 producing and selling 1.5 million toys that year. In my research I’ve found to date over 50 pieces of their charming toys also Adverts in papers & magazines in England,USA and New Zealand.Invoices & Patents. Currently I’m trying to put pen to paper but I not that good at writing this sort of thing. The Catalogue shows pictures of the inside of the factory and the people working in the hand Press room, the Power press room, Assembly area and the dispatch & packing area. Regards, C.R.Whiteley Poole Dorset.

23. Lacey Small says:

Hi Sarah, The book is out of print at the moment – but is due to be reprinted next year. I will let you know when and arrange for copies to be sent. Regards, Colin

24. Is Quentin Hughes’ book LIVERPOOL – city of architecture still published?
    Where can I buy a copy? I wish to give it to a Swedish friend who worked briefly at Liverpool City Architect office in 1957

25. admin says:

Hi Chris, We have plans to reprint it later this year (not definite). Try http://www.abebooks.com for a secondhand copy.

26. i have two copies of your excellent book, “a tram ride to dingle”, and i should like to contact the author, philip mayer, to put a related query to him

accordingly,as my protracted efforts to contact him have proved fruitless, i should be grateful if you would kindly inform me of a way in which i could contact him

many thanks

john callaghan

27. admin says:

Hi John,

I do not have a current address for Phillip (the book was published some 15 years ago).
    I know he is around – he posts his photographs on http://www.flikr.com
    and can be contacted through there I imagine.

Regards, Colin Wilkinson

28. admin says:

Hi Christopher,

We are hoping to publish an updated version later this year.

Regards, Colin Wilkinson

29. john callaghan says:

colin

john callaghan

hope that you are well

just purchased today your “streets of liverpool”, published 2011 – i was lucky – it was the last copy in the shop !

wonder whether youve had any luck with my previous enquiry about obtaining a copy photo of (1) the borough gaol in great howard street. demolished in or about 1875, give or take a few years, and (2)the toxteth reformatory for girls, parkhill road, dingle, liverpool, 8, demolished in or about 1927

theres £20 in it for one and £40 in it for both to whoevers favourite charity

i confirm that the copy photies (not sketches, etc) are for my own private collection and are not for public consumption and/or publication

many thanks

john callaghan

30. admin says:

Hi John,

Thanks for buying the book! No luck with either photo. The Borough Gaol is probably unlikely – too early – but the Toxteth Reformatory is a possibility, although I have not seen a photo of it. Will continue to look.

31. This is a message for John- there is one photo of Kirkdale gaol I was delighted to dicsover only recently . Also a Herdman pic .

32. jackie

john callaghan here

many thanks for your reply

apologies for lateness of reply – only just seen

unfortunately, the gaol, which im looking for isnt kirkdale gaol – its the borough gaol, which was in great howard street, about 100 yards north of the present bmw garage and immediately opposite neptune street (now gone and replaced by costco)

but many thanks for trying to help

anybody else out there ?

many thanks

john callaghan

33. lynne gaskell says:

Hello
    My father has the book “The streets of Liverpool” a photographic record but has mislaid the photpgraph of “Greenside”.
    Is there a way I can buy a copy of this or can I purchase the book somewhere.?
    He is in ill health and it would mean a great deal to him.
    Many thanks
    Lynne

34. admin says:

Hi Lynne,

Sorry to take a time to reply but I am trying to track down a copy of the book (it has been out of print for several
    years). I will try and find a copy next week.

Regards,

Colin

35. Roy Corke says:

I have some photographs of the Coronation of 1953,regarding the Barry St party. How can I download them on your website ? Roy Corke.

36. j.omahony says:

hi ,i was looking for any photos of st martins boys or girls school ,in the liverpool 8 area , are they in any of your books,cheers

37. J O'Rourke says:

I’m looking for photos of the Athol Street/Blackstone Street/over the bridge area of Liverpool where my mum was born, ideally late 1940s.

38. ejensen says:

Hi John Callahan
    Liverpool records Office have can image of Kirkdale Gaol in the ‘Photographs and Small Prints’ Catalogue, under ‘Prisons’. Needs to be requested 24 hours in advance if you want to see it.
    Emma

39. john callaghan says:

emma

many thanks for your help and sorry for the delay in reply

its not a photograph of kirkdale gaol im looking for, but a photograph of the the borough gaol, which was in gt howard st., about 75 yards north of leeds st – more or less opposite where neptune st (sadly, now demolished)was situated

but, thanks anyway for trying to help !

anybody else out there ?

many thanks

john callaghan

formerly of park road, dingerling

40. Lynne Lay says:

Hi, my mum and her mother and grandmother lived in Gascoyne Street, from 18=
    50s until there were demolished after 1935. Before that the family li
    ved in Eaton Street
    I have been looking for an image, photo or other of this area and All Souls=
    church in Eaton Street.
    I would also like to know when they were built and when demolished.
    I do hope you can help in some of these questions.=C2=A0 Thanks Lynne

41. Moy P says:

For John Callaghan. I’m probably years too late with an offering, but both a Google & Google Images search produced images on the Great Howard Street Borough Gaol…

42. admin says:

Thanks – I think the original question was about photographs, which is highly unlikely.